CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 4, 2008

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter and that you are anxiously awaiting General Conference! Not too many comments on the previous topic of the Atonement! While I was pondering an explanation for this (which definitely included all your busy, fabulous lives) I remembered this great quote from Hugh Nibley,
"So cool has been the reception of the message of the Atonement that through the centuries, while heated controversy and debate have raged over evolution, atheism, the sacraments, the Trinity, authority, predestination, faith and works, and so on, there has been no argument or discussion at all about the meaning of the Atonement. Why were there no debates or pronouncements in the synods? People either do not care enough or do not know enough to even to argue about it."

The group that is a part of this blog most assuredly is NOT made up of people who do not care. But even in studying that beautiful talk by Elder Bednar on merely the enpowering aspect of the Atonement, I learned a ton of new things. There is so much to learn, to study, to know.

Bruce R. McKonkie said, "The Atonement of Christ is the most basic and fundamental doctine of the gospel, and it is the least understood of all our revealed truths. Many of us have a superficial knowledge and rely upon the Lord and his goodness to see us through the trials and perils of life. But if we are to have faith like that of Enoch and Elijah, we must believe what they believed, know what they knew, and live as they lived.
May I invite you to join with me in gaining a sound and sure knowledge of the Atonement."

I love that very peronal invitation! Last Sunday, my Bishop bore his testimony and challenged our ward to study the Atonement (I always find it fascinating that when you are studying a specific topic, it pops up everywhere). So, let's keep this a running topic- and as you gain new insight on the scope of the Atonement... share!

Here we are. A new item to discuss. Let's try faith. Start with Alma 32 and the definition of faith in Mormon Doctrine. Thanks to all of you for your help in making this a positive, enriching experience!

1 comments:

Camilla Millar said...

Sorry, Sarah, for neglecting this topic. I keep waiting for time to sit down and really STUDY the talk.

What have I, therefore, learned from this? Once again I am reminded that procrastination did me in. In this stage in my life I must take spare minutes here are there and make them become part of my studies.