CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Stake Conference

This lovely weekend my stake was restructured. Elder Nielson of the Seventy and Elder Bednar were sent to call the new Stake President. What an amazing insightful experience it was. During the adult session, Paul and I were frantically taking notes- it seemed like everything they said was new and personally applicable. Here is a running thought...

Elder Nielson discussed a meeting of the Seventy that he attended while Elder Maxwell was alive. He said Elder Maxwell asked the group, "If all your children knew about the Gospel was what you personally have taught them... how much would they know?"

That is a very poignant question. My first thought was, "luckily, I have been with all of my children in Primary since they have been in Primary." But now, after pondering that thought for a day, I have learned that it is not Sunday that he was asking about. My instruction should be constant, both spoken and unspoken- Sunday should be a time for review of what I have already taught them, not new information.

In the very next hour, Elder Bednar said, "we cannot sit back and be casual about our children. Satan is not sitting around hoping they will choose his side; he is kicking and pitching and fighting to make them his. We cannot force or compel our children, but, parents, you better be pitching and doing all you can."

Elder Bednar spoke a lot about moral agency, explaining that, "Agency was given to us to choose the right (Moses 7:32). Once agency is used to enter into a covenant (which is a contract where the terms and conditions are set by God), agency is exhausted. Now, we must keep the promise made."

If I can teach my children one thing, it is this very clear and very misunderstood doctrine. It is a doctrine that helps me "pitch" the Gospel and gives understanding to them of why we choose the right. They chose to come to earth- they entered into a covenant before they were born (i.e. agreed to the terms God established- Abraham 3:25, 26) and now have a body. Their agency is exhausted in that choice. Their life must now be spent proving themselves.

I was truly humbled, chastised and comforted by the Holy Ghost this weekend. The "spoken" lessons were ones I will be teaching my children. The "unspoken" lessons (but just as clearly heard by my heart) were ones I was taught. I should be living and strengthening my testimony and understanding of these powerful doctrines. I was comforted to know that as long as we are finding joy in doing what is right, the Lord can teach us and correct us.

I will be studying this topic of moral agency and ask for this to be our new topic (some scripture refernces above). Please send me any thoughts or talks on the subject! Thanks!

1 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks Sarah...it is a little scary to think of my kids only knowing what I have taught them about the gospel. It makes me realize I need to play a more key role in their spiritual lives and not rely on others in the church to do it for me!