CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Eve, Satan, and Enticements to Partake

Is there anyone else who thinks it is interesting that one of Lucifer's first enticements to partake of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil is that it is delicious to eat and very desirable. Hmmm, appealing to our carnal nature. . . . . To Eve's credit, this is probably not the reason that she partakes of the fruit, as was mentioned in earlier comments.

I haven't done my reading yet, but here are a few questions I am going to focus on: First, if Adam and Eve couldn't procreate in the garden, were their physical bodies also limited in terms of other things, like eating? Why did Lucifer use this enticement? I guess I never entirely understood why procreation was not possible in the garden of Eden. Since this is our "assignment" I hope I (and you'all) can tackle this question that has bothered me for some time.

Next (and this is probably linked to the first), why did Eve follow Lucifer's lead and use the same enticement to get Adam to eat (ie, "it is delicious to the taste and very desirable").

Finally, what can we learn from this scenario about Satan's tactics and our response?

3 comments:

Auna Leigh said...

All good questions, none of which I know the answers to. Mmmmmmm... I do wonder however if it is symbolism. As in Nephi, the tree is the Love of God. Could it mean that fruit is just that, knowledge, not really fruit?! Did they physically "partake" of fruit or mentally? Just wondering...

mallari said...

That is a good point cause they did call it the tree of Knowlege of good and evil, and once they ate the fruit they realised that they were naked and also they recognized Satan. It seems like it kinda made everything click.

Obviously Heavenly Father has a plan and I am sure that that was part of it.

Do you think that he gave them those commandments knowing that they had to break atleast one? I am sure he did because no one but our Savior is perfect. So maybe those comandments were placed just to start the sinning and repentance process for mankind. What do you think?

Sarah said...

I do think there was a physical tree that needed to become a part of them, to cause a physical change.
I have been thinking of all the ways people try to fill in personal "gaps" with food, drugs, etc. Satan's enticements have been the same forver. He wants us to "eat" something, and that will ultimately drive us away from God.
We should learn from that.
When we are sad, do we go to the Lord, or do we sit and eat oreos? Isn't it interesting that it was fruit? Hello fructose! Sugar does something to our bodies, which effects our very mood and thought process. I wonder if the situation in the Grove would have been different if Eve and Adam would have gone to the Lord before eating the fruit. Is that what we are to learn for our lives now?
I am just being a bit silly, but I do think it is important to remember that we are not used to these physical bodies and approaches (I have only had mine for 27 years). We are spiritual beings that are used to spiritual nourishment and spiritual tasks.
And that is precisely why Satan targets our bodies and physical natures! We are still figuring out our physical nature and usually underestimate our body's reaction on our spiritual nature.