CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 14, 2008

Eve's Motivation

I am very intrigued by Eve's motivation in eating the fruit. She is an amazing woman. Satan's first temptation didn't seem to affect her (delicious to the taste and very desirable). She very insightfully questioned his motives (Who are you and why would you be tempting me to do this?) She wasn't fooled by his enticings or distracted by his offering. Perhaps she didn't feel the consequence was worth his offering of good taste and popularity.

It wasn't until he changed his tactic to something worth more to her that she considered his offer. When he offered knowledge she started taking his temptation seriously. Although by all accounts her life in the garden should have been idyllic, she desired to understand more. She made the decision with eyes wide open -- she knew the consequences and yet decided that the cost was worth it. This amazes me. She reassures Adam that the pain and sorrow they were about to go through was worth the knowledge they would gain. I don't know if I could handle a mortal life with all the challenges associated knowing that I could have stayed in the peaceful, pain-free garden. (I know I made a choice to accept this life and its challenges, but I don't remember that choice during mortality). Eve lived with the choice everyday and had the courage to say "it's worth it". I love her desire to learn and grow and especially her courage to be willing to take the difficult path.

4 comments:

Annette Larsen said...

At the conference this morning, Sister Olsen talked a lot about Adam and Eve and I wish I could remember her exact train of thought, but she pointed out that perhaps she was willing to partake of the fruit because she could see that it was good food, that it was desirable and would give her sustenance. She was reassured that if she chose mortality, there would be sustenance provided for her and Adam and their children. She also noticed that the tree was beautiful and that there would be beauty and goodness in the mortal world.
I know that sis olsen said it a lot better than that, but that was the general idea. Eve did go into her decision knowing what would happen. She chose the joy of motherhood and mortality over the selfish joy of immortality without children.

Kim said...

I love hearing you and reading what you wrote Sarah...I love soaking up the knowledge of all you others who are so far ahead of me...Thanks so much...like I said before...I will be an avid reader of the blog...but it might take a while for me to actually write something worthwhile...but you guys keep it up...you are awesome!

The A Team said...

It was an amazing choice to make. She knew what life was like within the comforts of the garden, how hard must it have been to choose the unknown for the benefit of us all.

"And Eve, his wife, heard all these things and was glad, saying: Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient." moses 5:11

Anonymous said...

Elder Richard G Scott said, "Eve said, “Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient.” Eve’s response was characteristic of a woman."

This was taken from his talk titled,"The Joy of Living the Great Plan of Happiness." on www.lds.org